Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Sleeping through the night

Those are like curse words right now. It seems like everyone else's babies, even those born after Isaac, are little sleeping angels hardly getting up at all during the night. Yet Isaac still gets up 3 or more times throughout the night. It drives me crazy and makes me feel like somehow I am a bad parent. I don't swaddle him which is supposed to make babies calm and sleep so well but every time we tried to swaddle he'd wiggle right out of it and he wouldn't calm down until he could move his arms. "Babywise" is another magic fix-all and if I would have just kept him on a strict schedule as "babywise" teaches, he would have been sleeping 12 hours at 2 months. A swing was supposed to magically help him sleep all night. It's helped him sleep on his own, but that's about it. I'm at my wits end this morning. I am just so sick of getting up all night and trying to function all day. I'm sick of feeling that I'm failing as a parent because my child insists on waking up constantly. I wish there were some magic button or tactic I could use to help Isaac sleep so this turmoil would just go away.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Becca. Exhaustion is awful and you are not a horrible mother because Isaac does not sleep through the night. Some kids just need longer before they sleep all night. I know from experience that it's tough to function and some days you just can't do it. Having been sleep deprived for so many years because of Jonathan, I can only say go with the flow as well as you can and grab a nap whenever possible. You will survive-it just doesn't feel like it right now. It's not you, it's not Isaac it's just life.

    ReplyDelete